Will Chris Rock bury the hatchet with Will Smith after his video apology? Seems unlikely, insiders say

FILE - In this combination of photos, Chris left Rock, at an FX press conference in Pasadena, California, on January 9, 2020;  and Will Smith at lunch with the Oscar nominees in Los Angeles on March 7, 2022. (AP Photo/File)

Chris Rock is not expected to contact Will Smith after his apology last week for the March Oscars blow. (Photos: Photo AP/Archivo)

Don’t expect Chris Rock and Will Smith to hug it anytime soon.

After Smith broke his silence on the Oscars blow in a video on Friday — he apologized to Rock and said he’ll be “here when you’re ready to talk” — it seems Smith shouldn’t be holding his breath.

“Chris has no plans to contact Will,” a source told… Entertainment tonight on Monday. The insider questioned the timing of Smith’s video, suggesting it was more about helping himself, adding, “He needs the public’s forgiveness, not Chris.”

A People magazine source had a similar party line, saying, “Chris doesn’t have to talk. Obviously this is something that bothers Will more than Chris. Will has to solve his problems. Chris is fine.”

A second person told that outlet, “The fact that… [Rock] joking about it is a good thing. That means he judges it. But the stress of the blow and its aftermath has not taken over his life. Quite the opposite.”

It’s true – Rock has referenced the March 27 incident in his… Ego Death World Tour, which started on the heels of the Oscars. In May, he made comments about “getting his hearing back” after being “punched in the face”. Last weekend, during a performance in Atlanta, Rock referred to the King Richard actor as “Suge Smith.” Marion “Suge” Knight, founder of Death Row Records, has a long history of violence and is currently incarcerated.

Ever since these Rock sources whispered to the entertainment news channels, Smith sources have made it clear as well that the video wasn’t just a publicity stunt.

“There was no rhyme or reason for it, except that time had passed, the job had been done, the same questions had arisen and people really wanted to hear from him too,” an insider said. People. “There was just a general feeling that it’s time and that he’s in a place where he had more things he wanted to say.”

The person said Smith is “deeply repentant, he’s still doing a lot of work and he’s also human and made a mistake. He continues with the same positivity he always had.”

In the meantime Us Weekly suggested that Jada Pinkett Smith was a driving force behind the video. She was, of course, the target of Rock’s GI Jane prank on Oscars night, which caused Smith to storm the stage to punch and curse an unsuspecting Rock who allegedly didn’t know she had alopecia.

Smith “never wanted” to apologize publicly, that outlet claimed, but Pinkett Smith has “pushed Will to apologize because it’s become a really dark cloud over her. Red Table Talk series” due to people looking for “any mention of that moment” on her show. [addressed it]’ the insider claimed.

Rock and Smith representatives did not respond to Yahoo Entertainment’s request for comment.

On Friday, Smith dropped the video and answered what he believes were questions from fans about the incident. In it, he told Rock, “My behavior was unacceptable and I’m here whenever you want to talk.” He also denied that Pinkett Smith encouraged the blow. “I made a choice from my own experiences, from my history with Chris,” he said. “Jada had nothing to do with it.”

Smith clumsily won Best Actor shortly after his outburst at Oscars night, and made no apologies to Rock in his speech. Then he went to the Oscars parties and celebrated his win. He said Friday that he was “drowsy” after the blow and was “blurred” for the rest of the night.

The day after the blow, Smith posted an apology on Instagram, saying he was “out of line” for hitting Rock, but said the joke about “Jada’s medical condition” upset him. During an investigation into the night’s events, Smith resigned from the Academy days later, issuing another statement calling his behavior “unforgivable.” A week later, the organization banned him from the Oscars and other events for 10 years.

Leave a Comment