Tiger Woods has turned down a $700-$800 million offer to join Saudi-backed LIV Golf series, CEO Greg Norman says

During an interview on Fox News that aired Monday, former No. 1 Norman of the world was asked by Tucker Carlson if it was true that Woods was offered $700-$800 million to participate in the LIV Golf series.

“That number was there before I became CEO,” Norman replied. “So, that number has been there, yes. Look, Tiger is a needle mover, right?

“So of course you’re going to be looking at the best of the best. They originally approached Tiger before I became CEO, so yeah, that number is somewhere around that.”

Previously, Norman had told the Washington Post in June that Woods had been offered a huge amount of money to participate, but turned it down. Norman said Woods’ proposal was “stunningly huge; we’re talking high nine figures.”

The controversial tour has attracted some of the big names in the golf world to leave the established PGA Tour and DP World Tour to compete for huge sums of money.

Big winners Phil Mickelson, Dustin Johnson, Bryson DeChambeau, Brooks Koepka, Sergio Garcia, Louis Oosthuizen, Graeme McDowell, Charl Schwartzel and Martin Kaymer have all joined the breakaway venture, which has offered players huge amounts of money to join.

The LIV Golf series is backed by Saudi Arabia’s Public Investment Fund (PIF) – a sovereign wealth fund chaired by Saudi Arabia’s Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman – and has pledged to award a total of $250 million in prize money.

However, it has led to criticism from many players, including Rory McIlroy and Woods, that players have abandoned the traditional setup of golf and accepted money from a country with a poor human rights record.

9/11 survivors' group

Ahead of the July Open in St Andrews, Scotland, Woods said he disagreed with the players who had left.

“I think they’ve done what they’ve done to get to this position,” said the 15-time winner.

“Some of these players may never get a chance to play in major championships. That’s a possibility. We don’t know for sure yet. It’s up to all the major championship bodies to make that decision. But that’s a possibility, that some players never get a chance to play in a major championship, never get a chance to experience this here, walk the fairways of Augusta National.

Woods prepares a shot during his second round at the 150th Open in St Andrews.

“But what these players do for guaranteed money, what’s the incentive to practice? What’s the incentive to go out and earn it in the sand? You just get a lot of money up front and play a few events and play 54 holes. They play blaring music and have all these atmospheres that are different.”

Woods added: “I just don’t see how that move is positive for many of these players in the long run, especially if the LIV organization doesn’t get points in the world rankings and the major championships change their eligibility criteria for the events. .

“It would be sad to see some of these young children never get a chance to experience and experience what we have been allowed to experience and walk on these sacred grounds and play in these championships.”

Woods went so far as to criticize Norman himself for his role in the splinter tour. “Greg has done some things that I don’t think are in the best interest of our game, and we’re coming back to probably the most historic and traditional place in our sport.”

On Sunday, Henrik Stenson won the third event of LIV Golf’s debut season in Bedminster, New Jersey.

Nearly two weeks after losing his Ryder Cup captaincy for competing in the series, the 46-year-old Swede shot 11 under par at Trump National Golf Club Bedminster to win $4 million.

He received the trophy along with former US President Donald Trump, who attended the entire three-day race and owns the track.

Leave a Comment